OT: TiVo archive (was RE: [wplug] Internal hard drive deals?)

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Aug 19 14:45:11 EDT 2004

It's entirely OT as I do absolutely none of it via Linux.  It's not that
I can't (well, actually, I can't), it's just that there are a couple of
Windoze tools that have nothing even close under Linux at this time.
All of what I do is detailed in these forums:
http://www.dealdatabase.com/forum/

I am over a TB because I have yet to find a DVD building tool that
offers a high degree of playability across all DVD players, and until I
can burn DVDs that I know will play in any machine I may happen to own I
am not ready to delete the original .vobs.  It's a real PITA.  If anyone
has recommendations I'd love to hear them (Linux or otherwise, off-line
please) - I currently build & compile with DVDLab
http://www.mediachance.com/dvdlab/ for the cost the results are
phenomenal, but many machines have this little bug where they won't play
the audio.....  O can compose, compile and roast a full DVD in aboot an
hour.

I have a PCHDTV card on order (the new 3000) and am hoping that I can
more on that with Linux and MythTV (saw a demo at LW and was blown away)
but the DVD compilation tools under Linux still lag way behind Windoze.

Don

Things I archive:
many movies, sporting events, news items of note (like the local Mayor
found Wed. morning, naked and drunk, outside a barber shop on
Cleveland's West Side trying to sleep on the sidewalk)
Mystery Science Theater 3000 (only have 9 episodes in VOB, but will send
copys to anyone)
Seinfeld
Duckman (being archived for trade with someone who has ALL MST3K
episodes on DVD)
Strangers with Candy
Upright Citizens Brigade
Reno 911!
Chappelle's Show
SNL
MadTV
Metal videos
I Love the (70s, 80s, 80'sSB, 90's)
Adult Swim (all)
Several 70's/80's BritComs (whooohooo! "The Young Ones" is back on
BBCA!)
Lots of car-related crap
...and several requested shows for family & friends.