[wplug] dkms from Dell

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Aug 18 16:22:26 EDT 2004

I noticed during boot on some of the Dell machines we ordered preinstalled
with linux, that they mention something like 'rebuilding modules for this
kernel version'. I looked into it and it seems it called dkms, dynamic
kernel module support. Not to be confused with the existing loadable
module support already in the kernel.

http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml#dkms

In short, what it trys to do, is recompile 3rd party certain modules, such
as alsa, when a new kernel is booted. Has anyone spent time working with
this and have it working on non-dell machines, with their own custom
dkms-modules? I'm specifially interested in setting up openafs to work
with it.

-james