[wplug] Got new Motherboard !!!

vze57qmg at verizon.net vze57qmg at verizon.net
Wed Aug 18 12:41:34 EDT 2004

Thanks for all your suggestions and info.

I picked up a Giga-byte 7VT600-RZ MoBo from A2Z in Monroeville for about $120.

Here's the specs: http://www.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_Spec_7VT600-RZ.htm

One feature I like about this board is the IT8705 I/O chip that can be used by lmsensors to monitor the M.B's stats (eg: Voltage, temp, fan speed, etc).
My old board had that too.
This M.B. also had just the right amount of built-in stuff without all the extras I don't need.

Got it up and running pretty quick but my SuSE 8.2 install has had a nervous breakdown over all the changes.

I finally got the network, sound and other devices working but something is REALLY wrong with my NVidia driver for the AGP card. I get the splash screen the system FREEZES. I was going to rebuild the driver but now my system stops while booting when trying to start the postfix service.

I was going to try booting into runlevel 2 tonight and disabling the service so I can get it to boot normal.

Last night I remembered I had set-up dual boot to try out SuSE 9.1.

I fired that up and after acknowledging the hardware changes in Yast, it was running fine and all devices worked (uhh.. well mostly).

I'll keep hacking at it tonight but it may be time to upgrade.

-Bob