[wplug] Moterboard - Decision time

vze57qmg at verizon.net vze57qmg at verizon.net
Sun Aug 15 16:10:53 EDT 2004

Thanks for all the suggestions on the motherboard replacement.

Per your (collective) advice I will avoid replacing my blown PC Chips M.B. with another from the same manufacturer.

I found a board that seemed just right from Tyan - the S2495 based on the KT400 chipset.
Unfortunately this board is OUT OF STOCK everywhere I checked so it doesn't look good for this one.

CompUSA has an MSI (KT4VL) for around $100 and an ASUS (A7N8X) for around $160. Neither of these have the onboard temp/voltage sensors I was looking for but I may settle on the MSI.

I was going to check out the Gigabyte M.B.'s at A2Z in Monroeville on Tues. if you think it's worth my trouble.

I was wondering if anyone has an opinion on the chipsets these boards use. Most use Via or NVidia.
I've heard bad things about both of these. My last board used SiS but it worked fine even though I've heard bad things about them too. These are the chipsets that handle on-board devices (lan, sound, etc) as well as the PCI bus, USB, sensors, etc.
What's your opinion?

I plan on getting an M.B. this week so any last minute suggestions would be very helpful.

Thanks again all,

Bob