[wplug] LinspireOS to Debian

Frank W. Holden Jr. frank.holden at comcast.net
Sat Aug 14 00:07:31 EDT 2004

I have tried both flavors and they both work nicely as a desktop
install. I updated/added many files via .deb's and had no problems.
You can do just about anything to them without getting into too much
trouble... I liked Mepis, but I think that the Linspire distro would
be much much easier for someone that knows nothing about Linux. I
wasn't too found of the idea that you had to PAY to download
programming that you can get via the net, but they have gone thru alot
of trouble to do most of the setups within the files from Linspire
though...

As I said, you can do just about anything to the installs and when you
screw up you just uninstall your troubles. Eventually I had both
installs to the point that I could have just installed Debian from the
get go... Which I did eventually... I was into trying out with massive
testing each and every distro I could lay my hands on for the basic
reasoning of introducing non users to something they could learn and
work with easily. The concept behind Linspire is good and sound, but
reminded me too much of M$uck. I could feel the tug in the wallet and
the people I was introducing Linux too couldn't keep on paying... But,
I guess this is what ALL decient distro's are going to...

Hope this helped you somewhat...
Frank