[wplug] Shared printing

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Aug 12 22:43:39 EDT 2004

On Aug 12, 2004, at 11:45 AM, A. James MacDonald wrote:

> I am a newbie to linux, having just installed Mandrake Linux 9.2.  I
> have my other computers networked using XP Pro. and a Linksys wireless
> router.  Everything seems to be working fine except for connecting
> with the shared printer.  I assume I need Samba to have my linux work
> with XP Pro.  I downloaded Samba 3.0.6 and untarred it.  It is in my
> home directory and I would like to know how to proceed from here.  How
> and where do I install it?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> Thanks.  Jim

You've received lots of good advice, but I wanted to point out that you
can probably get packages built specifically for Mandrake to install,
rather than having to build it from scratch and get it configured by
hand.  It might even have a handy interface through Mandrake's
configuration tools.

Here are the Mandrake RPMs for samba:

http://us3.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Mandrake/RPMS/9.2/

jonathan