[wplug] Redhat, Fedora, and home folders...

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Thu Aug 12 13:37:20 EDT 2004

Bill Moran wrote:

> I've noticed that KDE and Gnome try to be good about keeping their configs
> safe.  Gnome will make new . directory for each version to keep configs
> seperate, for example.  Also, the XML format of their text configs makes
> it very easy for an older version to ignore config options that it doesn't
> understand.

You are a lot more trusting than I am.  I've seen gnome AND KDE get very
confused even on minor revision upgrades, because the config file wasn't
what it expected.  I ended up moving the dotfiles out of the way and
have the user recreate their setup from the defaults.

Just because they use XML doesn't mean that the data is backwards
compatible.

--
Jonathan S. Billings <billings at negate.org>