[wplug] Redhat, Fedora, and home folders...

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Aug 12 12:11:12 EDT 2004

Sometime in August techmike assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| Has anyone run a mixture of Fedora and Redhat machines using a NFS mount
| for home folders..
|
| I have a small workgroup of redhat pc's that logon to an NIS domain, and
| use NFS for home folders..  Just wondering if I throw a Fedora box in the
| mix I'm going to corrupt home folders just like windows roaming profiles do..

We're doing this here. Right now we have a Debian box which is running NIS,
NFS, and Samba with our users home directories located on this server (via
autofs maps being pushed by the server). We have several computers running
Redhat 9, 7.3, and Fedora Core 2. So a user can login to any of these
machines and access their home directory. I'm not sure what you mean by
corrupt home folders. The only interpretation I can think of right off hand
is this situation:

I login to the Fedora Core 2 box running KDE 3.2.3. Then I try to login to
the Redhat 9 machine with KDE
3.1. For some reason an incompatibly exists between KDE versions and KDE on
the Redhat 9 box barfs as a result.

This is possible, but I don't think I would describe this as a corruption.

                            | /"\
 john harrold               | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
 jmh at member.fsf.org      |  X  against HTML mail
 the most useful idiot      | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans,
 and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is brought
 under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of
 liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
  gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E