[wplug] talk and xinetd?

Poyner, Brandon bpoyner at ccac.edu
Wed Aug 4 14:23:17 EDT 2004

I'm not certain where it's documented, but there is the old school talk
and the successor ntalk (ncurses talk).  The old talk is very simple and
runs on a different port than ntalk.  When you install the talk client
on most any Linux system you're really installing ntalk, even though
they call it talk.

$ strings /usr/bin/talk | grep ntalk
ntalk
$NetKit: netkit-ntalk-0.17 $
$ ldd /usr/bin/talk | grep libncurses
        libncurses.so.5 => /usr/lib/libncurses.so.5 (0x006c2000)

There may be some backwards compatibility in the ntalk client as certain
other operating systems (Solaris) still use old talk.

Brandon Poyner
Network Engineer II
CCAC - College Office
412-237-3086