[wplug] talk and xinetd?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Aug 3 18:04:45 EDT 2004

I thought this would be simple, but it seems complex.  I am trying to get
talk to work on my server running Redhat 9 with xinetd.  I modified the
'talk' file in the /etc/xinetd.d directory to include "disable = no" and
restarted xinetd.  'talk' now shows up in chkconfig:

$ chkconfig --list talk
talk		on
$
.. and in netstat:

$ netstat -a | grep talk
udp        0      0 *:talk                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:talk                  *:*
udp        0      0 *:talk                  *:*
$

... yes, three times (is THAT a problem?)

But when I say 'talk user' where "user" is an online person other than me,
the talk window tells me, "Error reading from talk daemon: connection
refused".

I put a line in my iptables firewall (the very first line in the INPUT
chain) which LOGs any udp packets on port 'talk', and it's not showing
anything.  Is there somewhere upstream of the firewall that this could be
getting stopped?  The user is logged in on the same machine, so it shoudl
be going through the loopback interface (right?) which I have wide open.

I'm just a little puzzled.  Any ideas?

-Brandon