[wplug] (no subject)

Michael E Uhl meu102 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 3 17:56:55 EDT 2004

I have to throw in a second vote for CUPS (http://www.cups.org).  If you
want to share printers between linux machines or share a printer
connected to a linux machine with Windows (XP) clients, CUPS works very
well.

I have a printer connected to one of my linux boxes that I wanted to
share with my wife's XP machine.  At first I tried using samba.  It
wasn't difficult to set up, but it and Windows XP didn't get along well
with regard to printing.  So, I tried CUPS... using it's internet
printing protocol support, printing from Windows works like a dream.
Plus, setting up my other linux machine to use that same printer was
pretty easy.  There are some gui tools out there to help set up the
printers: gnome-cups-manager (which for Debian Linux is found in the
gnome-cups-manager package).

-michael

--
Michael Edward Uhl