[wplug] HELP - Motherboard suggestions

frank.holden at comcast.net frank.holden at comcast.net
Sun Aug 1 22:37:25 EDT 2004

> On Sun, 1 Aug 2004 13:05:14 -0400
> <vze57qmg at verizon.net> wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > It's looks like (or should I say smells like) something has fried on my
> motherboard.
> >
> > I'm still testing things to make sure it's not a bad power supply, etc. but it
> looks bad for the M.B.
> >
> > The M.B. is(was) a PC Chips mother board (M830LR) with built-in LAN and
> hardware monitoring that both work with Linux.
>
> PC Chips, ... I'm so sorry.
>

> > I'm looking for some new motherboard suggestions from the group. Something
> Linux friendly or at least which chipsets I should consider or avoid.
>
> I've had wonderful experiances with Intel, Asus, MSI and DFR mother
> boards.  I avoid PC Chips, SoYo and Fica boards as much as possible.
>

> > I went to pricewatch.com but could not find the same M.B. I have now.
> >
> > CompUSA had a few with Nvidia chipsets, VIA chipsets, etc.
> >
> > Did I hear someplace about problems with the Nvidia chipset?
>
> I've been told that Nvidia drivers have been released for both
> Linux and FreeBSD.  Though I don't recall hearing any bad things
> about them.  Time for a google?
>

> > I'm interested in M.B.'s with hardware monitoring, intergrated LAN, DDR 266
> RAM compatibility, Athlon ThunderBird compatibility, and an AGP slot.
> >
> > Any suggestions?
> > Any brand favorites (TYAN, PC-Chips, etc)?
>
> Tyan isn't bad at all, I would also recommend ASUS.
I have been using Gigabyte and Asus boards around here and they have been quite acceptable! So I guess that Asus has 2 votes now. I have used Tyan in the past and had good success with them and Linux.

I use nVidia video on the 2 present machineswithout and problems, so that is one you don't have to worry about! The built on sound on both boards work, but one has the SB CT5880 onboard that works the best. As far as the LAN, I haven't found one yet that Linux couldn't handle!