[wplug] HELP - Motherboard suggestions

vze57qmg at verizon.net vze57qmg at verizon.net
Sun Aug 1 13:05:14 EDT 2004

Hi all,

It's looks like (or should I say smells like) something has fried on my motherboard.

I'm still testing things to make sure it's not a bad power supply, etc. but it looks bad for the M.B.

The M.B. is(was) a PC Chips mother board (M830LR) with built-in LAN and hardware monitoring that both work with Linux.

I'm looking for some new motherboard suggestions from the group. Something Linux friendly or at least which chipsets I should consider or avoid.

I went to pricewatch.com but could not find the same M.B. I have now.

CompUSA had a few with Nvidia chipsets, VIA chipsets, etc.

Did I hear someplace about problems with the Nvidia chipset?

I'm interested in M.B.'s with hardware monitoring, intergrated LAN, DDR 266 RAM compatibility, Athlon ThunderBird compatibility, and an AGP slot.

Any suggestions?
Any brand favorites (TYAN, PC-Chips, etc)?

Thanks for any help,

Bob

BTW - I'll be out of town next week so it looks like it will be a while before I get back on the net (I'm borrowing the wife's computer for this post). I'm already having withdrawal symptoms.