[wplug] wplug.org choking?

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Sun Aug 1 12:09:55 EDT 2004

wplug at badgertronics.com (Mark Dalrymple) wrote:

> > I'll download the first few K of data, and then the connection will
> > hang for a 'long period' of time
>
> I'm glad someone else is seeing it too.  I gripe about it on IRC
> but nobody believes me, or  blames it on my rather latent satellite
> connection.  Some folks / machines / ISPs it behaves like that,
> and many others it doesn't.  There's probably a configuration / routing
> issue somewhere.  It's not just the website, ssh connections can take
> forever to negotiate.  It took 15 minutes to upload a 20K file once.
>
> Needless to say, makes it frustrating to maintain the site.

I was dealing with something similar to this (or, at least it seems
similar to me, I could be wrong) and it had to do with PMTU failing
to work.  Stupid ISPs were blocking the ICMP messages that make
PMTU discovery possible, and as a result connection quality sucked,
and occasionally didn't work at all.

I could be off base, but there are howtos on how to see if PMTU is
working ... it's worth a look.

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies