[wplug] post to nntp in PINE?

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Fri Apr 30 03:36:35 EDT 2004

> I have a bizarre problem using PINE when connected to andrew.cmu.edu.  I
> don't really have anywhere else to turn, so I'm looking for ideas.

> My understanding is that when I am reading a newsgroup in PINE and I press
> 'C', then I am presented with the option to post to the newsgroup.  But in
> PINE on Andrew, that doesn't happen -- I'm just kicked into the normal
> composer.  I do have an nntp server configured -- I mean, I'm reading
> newsgroups -- and the documentation that I've found seems to suggest that

Andrew doesn't use NNTP for newsgroups.
They use IMAP.  50% of the what you think you know about Pine from elsewhere
doesn't apply in andrew-land.
To figure out how to post to a newsgroup in Andrew, I usually find it simplest
to first figure out how to followup/reply to a newsgroup and then see what it
does.  I think it's some magical e-mail address. (I have had to relearn it on
each of the few occasions I bothered)
Alternatively, you may just find your life to be easier if you just use
Mulberry or batimail.