[wplug] partitioning

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Fri Apr 30 10:44:32 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-30 at 10:15, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:
> 	/boot	250m	Redhat 9 wanted 250m, I don't care, personally.
> 	swap	.5-4g	depends on RAM, whether it's gonna be busy, etc.
> 	/	rest	All of the rest of disk or raid.

When deciding a site-wide partitioning setup, we chose to try to
separate OS data from user data.  Having a single / partition means that
if the filesystem goes bad, you lose everything.  Also, at the time, we
were using a backup system that read the filesystem directly, rather
than using the OS to read data off the partition.  Although we've since
moved to other backup software, we've found that it is easiest to
maintain and upgrade user's hardware if we separate OS data and user
data.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>