[wplug] OT: AI

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 29 12:53:44 EDT 2004

Patrick Weber wrote:
> You may find that the topic of Genetic Algorithms may interest you.  They
> have long been a topic of AI research and have some fun aspects to them.
> Basically what GA's do is take a series of parameters and "mutate" them to
> use the biological term.  Then it "breeds" these parameters to produce
> outcomes.  The outcomes that most closely resemble what you want are then
> selected, mutated and bred again.  What this does is "evolve" your
> parameters for your data in a similar way that monkeys evolve into people.

<humor>
If humans evolved from monkeys, why are there still monkeys?
</humor>

It's an interesting concept ... you could "breed" a result the same way
you would breed dogs (cull the undesirables, and breed the successful)
until you ended up with what you wanted.

I guess you could also breed without the culling (like humans do ;) and
just see what happens.

> For your situation you could use your set of parameters and run it through a
> genetic algorithm until it meets the regressions that you currently have.
> Then you can use what evolved to make predictions... This is just a thought.
>
> AI is a broad topic of computer science research that has yeilded some
> interesting algorithms.  AI is not a thing unto itself however.  My personal
> definition: "Non-deterministic code that behaves intelligently within the
> domain for which is was intended"

That's better than mine, except for two things:
1) Does the code _have_ to be non-determinstic?  Can deterministic code work?
    A chess program that looks 10 moves ahead to determine the best move could
    never be AI?  (If so, I don't think any chess programs that qualify as AI)
2) What do you mean by intelligently?  Could a better term be used there, such
    as saying "... code that makes appropriate choices within the domain ..."?

Of course, to the layman, AI means "a computer that acts like a human" ... which
of course implies that humans are intelligent.  It's intersting that you could
dredge up a number of chat-bots that are perfectly capable of keeping a real
human engrossed in conversation for a considerable amount of time, thus arguing
that they act like human chatters and are thus AI software.  The only problem is
I quite often meet human chatters who show no signs of intelligence ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies