[wplug] OT: AI

Patrick Weber paw160 at psu.edu
Thu Apr 29 15:28:27 EDT 2004

You may find that the topic of Genetic Algorithms may interest you.  They
have long been a topic of AI research and have some fun aspects to them.
Basically what GA's do is take a series of parameters and "mutate" them to
use the biological term.  Then it "breeds" these parameters to produce
outcomes.  The outcomes that most closely resemble what you want are then
selected, mutated and bred again.  What this does is "evolve" your
parameters for your data in a similar way that monkeys evolve into people.

For your situation you could use your set of parameters and run it through a
genetic algorithm until it meets the regressions that you currently have.
Then you can use what evolved to make predictions... This is just a thought.

AI is a broad topic of computer science research that has yeilded some
interesting algorithms.  AI is not a thing unto itself however.  My personal
definition: "Non-deterministic code that behaves intelligently within the
domain for which is was intended"

-Pat Weber