[wplug] Mplayer -- remain open after playing avi?

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Wed Apr 28 14:04:29 EDT 2004

> Try using kmplayer (kde's front end for mplayer)
> It has a config menu with the options you are looking.
>
> -Bob

I have RTFM (at least, some of it -- it's enormous) and searched the web,
and I haven't found any way to get mplayer to do what I want.  I was
hoping someone on this list had some experience?

My ideal movie player would do this:
 - open a movie and wait to play it until I clicked, or pressed the space
bar, or something
 - remain showing either the first frame or the last frame of the movie on
the screen after the movie is complete
 - if I click on it (or press space bar or whatever) again after it's
done, play again.

mplayer does none of these things, and I haven't been able to determine
(through considerable trial and error) how to make it do so.  Instead, it
starts playing my (very brief) movie immediately, and after it's done,
flashes to the 'mplayer' splash screen, which is just an advertisement of
its failures, as far as I'm concerned.

Furthermore, running mplayer with the -loop # option (which would be a
-barely- acceptable workaround) fails.  Upon completion of the first
runthrough, it switches to a black screen.

I would be shocked if mplayer could not be made to do what I want, since
it seems to be a very mature product and I don't think my requirements are
at all unusual (doesn't every other movie player do that?).  But I can't
figure it out.

Little help?

-Brandon