[wplug] trying to mount hdb

Jonathan S. Billings billings at negate.org
Sun Apr 25 11:55:46 EDT 2004

On Apr 24, 2004, at 1:00 PM, Peter Williams wrote:

> # fdisk -l
> Disk /dev/hdb: 16 heads, 63 sectors, 16383 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 bytes
>
>    Device Boot   Begin    Start      End   Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hdb1   *        1        1    19859 10008463+   7  OS/2 HPFS
> Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(1023, 254, 63) should be (1023, 15, 63)
> /dev/hdb2        19456    19859    79401 30009420    f  Unknown
> Partition 2 does not end on cylinder boundary:
>      phys=(1023, 254, 63) should be (1023, 15, 63)
> end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00, sector 0

I know that fdisk says it is an 'OS/2 HPFS' but MS used the same
partition ID for NTFS as OS/2 did for their HPFS.  Unless you are
running OS/2, it is most likely an NTFS filesystem.

There still isn't a stable version of an ntfs driver in the linux
kernel, although there has been a read-only ntfs kernel module in 2.4.

> This led me to try mounting with hpfs.  Once again:
> fs type hpfs not supported by kernel
>
> My copy of man fdisk has some cautious things to say about
> OS/2.  Am I just dealing with a drive and a dinosaur linux box, that
> are too far removed from each other to make this work?  I'd like to
> believe that there's a solution.  Plan B is to wipe the drive, forget
> what's on it, and start a new installation.

You'd probably be able to upgrade the kernel in place, if you really
need to get the data off the NTFS filesystem before upgrading the whole
OS.

Jonathan