[wplug] trying to mount hdb

David Ostroske eksortso at linuxmail.org
Fri Apr 23 21:37:07 EDT 2004

On Fri, 2004-04-23 at 19:17, Peter Williams wrote:

> On to the current quandary.  I received a 40GB hard drive from a
> friend.  I believe he used it as a secondary drive on a Windoze box.  I
> plan to put this into one of my spare boxes, and install Linux on it
> (learning while doing).  But first, I want to see what's on it - he said
> he left me some "great things."  I've plugged it in as hdb, and the
> machine can see it, but I can't get it to mount.

Welcome to the list! My own knowledge is (IMO) limited, but I'll try to
help.

> Some relevant information:
>
> # dmesg

> Partition check:
>  hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
>  hdb: hdb1 hdb2

First off, can you say what version of Windows this hard drive was
formatted on? If it was in the NT line (which includes XP), then you
might have NTFS partitions on there.

(I don't know much about NTFS, but I do know that for now, you shouldn't
write to it.)
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/158157

> # mount -t auto /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb
> [MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 12,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022]
> [me=0xf8,cs=1,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=512]
> Transaction block size = 512
> VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 03:41.

Could this be a FAT32 partition. It looks like mount is trying to use
"msdos" to mount it.

In either case, I wouldn't use the "auto" type to mount a hard drive
partition. I would specify "vfat" for FAT32 and "ntfs" for NTFS.

Try:
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb
and see if that works.

Or, try out the second partition.
# mount -t vfat /dev/hdb2 /mnt/other

Do this to mount an NTFS filesystem as read-only:
# mount -t ntfs -r /dev/hdb2 /mnt/other

I can't offer much more help, but see what this does for you.

--
David Ostroske <eksortso at linuxmail.org>