[wplug] trying to mount hdb

Peter Williams broadway at city-net.com
Fri Apr 23 19:17:51 EDT 2004

Hello all,
I've been a lurker here for a while.  I still work mostly in Windoze,
but I was given two Linux boxes by my last job and do use those
when I can.  I don't think I count as a full "Linux user" though - just
a "command line user."  I'm familiar with the OS (in a post-install
sense) and some of its utilities, but I don't know how to do an
install of my own... yet.  I do want to learn, but it has been a
process that has been slow to start.

On to the current quandary.  I received a 40GB hard drive from a
friend.  I believe he used it as a secondary drive on a Windoze box.  I
plan to put this into one of my spare boxes, and install Linux on it
(learning while doing).  But first, I want to see what's on it - he said
he left me some "great things."  I've plugged it in as hdb, and the
machine can see it, but I can't get it to mount.

Some relevant information:

# dmesg
hda: QUANTUM FIREBALL1080A, 1039MB w/83kB Cache, LBA, CHS=528/64/63
hdb: Maxtor 5T040H4, 8063MB w/2048kB Cache, CHS=16383/16/63
hdc: FX120T, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
Partition check:
 hda: hda1 hda2 hda3
 hdb: hdb1 hdb2
Adding Swap: 58460k swap-space (priority -1)

# mount -t auto /dev/hdb1 /mnt/hdb
[MS-DOS FS Rel. 12,FAT 12,check=n,conv=b,uid=0,gid=0,umask=022]
[me=0xf8,cs=1,#f=0,fs=0,fl=0,ds=0,de=0,data=0,se=0,ts=0,ls=512]
Transaction block size = 512
VFS: Can't find a valid MSDOS filesystem on dev 03:41.

I've been looking at man mount, and poking at this, with no
improvement.  This is as far as my knowledge takes me.  Where
do I go from here?  Or what else can I try?  Thanks.

Peter