[wplug] Power Mgmt and linux

beer beer at cmu.edu
Wed Apr 21 15:19:32 EDT 2004

Hey guys

I'm not sure if my problems are T41 specific or if these are linux
problems in general.  I have my T41 running Mandrake 10 with a
2.6.3-mdkenterprise kernel.  There are a number of interesting issues with
trying to get power management working on this machine.

My machine keeps going into a power save state of some sort and no key
sequences will bring it back from this state. When the machine boots it
reports that ACPI was disabled in the bios, and then reports that this was
overridden.  There were no ACPI packages installed so I installed the
appropriate packages.  When I run '%acpi -V' it tells me the kernel doesnt
support ACPI, so I go into menuconfig and pretty much every option under
ACPI is enabled.  When I look in dmesg it looks like ACPI is enabled.  I
cant include the whole text as this is a different machine but there is a
table of hex addresses followed by:

ACPI: PM-Timer IO Port: 0x1008
Kernel command line: BOOT_IMAGE=linux-enterprise ro root=305 devfs=mount
acpi=ht splash=silent
ACPI: Subsystem revision 20040211
ACPI: Interpreter disabled.

My assumption is that the unrecoverable state has something to do with
this interpreter line but I honestly didnt see anything in the kernel
config that would suggest it was how to turn this on.

Anybody have any insights to offer?

tia

-b