[wplug] Re: wplug Vol 2, Issue 16, Message 14, Q: Whichdistribution to start with?

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon Apr 19 14:33:56 EDT 2004

My first (of four) installs was the 20MB ISO download installer. After
locating a local server and recording IP / Host info to put into the
installer it went ok. Issue with that is the YAST update program keep
barking about a missing update server no matter what server/path I gave
it. Gave up on that and did update manually from ftp://SuSE.org site
(very slow).

Second and all installs sense then have been from media (purchased from
online store which took four weeks to be delivered :>( It seems to go
very well. Asks for the DVD a lot if you try and add packages but I
ignore and suck down from site and to rpm install manually.

NIC worked fine for me with 2.4 base kernel (e100) but when I installed
the 2.6.4 rpm from the SuSE site it would not load automatically (hence
my custom kernel build of 2.6.5 from kernel.org).

Jeremey Wise