[wplug] Apropos to May's topic

Vance Kochenderfer vance at happylemur.com
Sun Apr 18 01:38:30 EDT 2004

This article might make good fodder for next month's security
presentation.  "Adware cookies" are included in their definition
of spyware, so the number seems somewhat inflated, but over 15%
of machines were running trojans.  There is no breakdown by OS,
but I'm sure you can make an educated guess about that...

  PCs 'infested' with spy programs

  <http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3633167.stm>

  The average computer is packed with hidden software that can
  secretly spy on online habits, a study has found.

  The US net provider EarthLink said it uncovered an average of 28
  spyware programs on each PC scanned during the first three months
  of the year.

[snip]

vance at happylemur.com      |   good belt of Scotch"    -Nick Danger