[wplug] system time is UTC

Rob Jefferson rlj at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 13 12:56:40 EDT 2004

On Tue, 13 Apr 2004, Brandon Kuczenski wrote:

> However, now my computer thinks it's 8:28 AM (which is Greenwich time, if
> I'm not mistaken) instead of 12:28 PM.  I don't really know where the
> problem lies, since NTPD seems to run okay.

Deselect "System clock is UTC".  What that says, IIRC, is that if the
hardware clock is UTC, do the appropriate timezone conversion before
displaying it.  However, the vast majority of clocks (especially on x86
platforms) are set to local time, so a timezone offset would cause error.
However, NTP spits out UTC, leaving it up to the clients to do the right
thing with timezones.

You can see what timezone your clock is in with the "hwclock" utility.
Use "hwclock --set --localtime" to set the hardware clock timezone to EDT,
and that should give you the desired result.

rob