[wplug] system time is UTC

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Apr 13 12:30:28 EDT 2004

There must be something I don't understand about the way my system sets
the time. Redhat9 with ntpd.

The computer did not automagically adjust for daylight savings time, so I
ran redhat-config-time and made sure it knew I was living in "America/New
York".  I also decided (since it seemed 'right') to check "System clock
uses UTC" -- that way the internal clock will be universal, and Redhat
will determine (from my selected time zone) what time to tell me, and how
to adjust it for daylight savings time, and so forth. Right?

However, now my computer thinks it's 8:28 AM (which is Greenwich time, if
I'm not mistaken) instead of 12:28 PM.  I don't really know where the
problem lies, since NTPD seems to run okay.

-Brandon