[wplug] SuSE 9 SAMBA Client Fun

Wise, Jeremey jeremey.wise at agilysys.com
Mon Apr 12 16:57:30 EDT 2004

I posted this twice now to the SuSE User group and no RSVP so I figured
I would try here.

Issue is related to SMB mounts. I have done it several times where I
mount my (XP Laptop replicated) office documents that are on a server
SMB share via Linux then sync it to my home directory. 'mkdir
/media/smb' -> add host entry into /etc/hosts (ex:iaserver1
192.168.240.107) -> 'mount -t smbfs -o username=wisej,password=foo
//iaserver1/Users /media/smb' -> 'mount' shows the share is mounted. ->
'cd /media/' -> 'ls' yield only directories dvd floppy and cdrom (i.e.no
smb directory) with error insufficient rights /media/smb -> 'cd smb'
works but gives error of insufficient rights again. Their was also a
time skew error (I forgot to write that down) but I don't think it is
directly related.

*** Update****
Still unresolved though I am certain it is a perm issue related to the
fact that I am not passing the domain ID. For example: If I connect to
the share via Konqueror and specify user='username', password='password'
then I get a successful attachment (same as yield from 'mount -t smbfs
-o user=username,password=password //serverip/share /media/floppy) with
the same results of error stating that I have insufficient rights to the
share. BUT, if in Konqueror I specify user='DOMAIN\username' .... I can
browse and us the share as expected. Their does not seem to be an
SMBClient option for passing the domain ID. I can not use a '/' or '\'
in the mount string and it seems to ignore if the user portion is in
quotes. Any suggestions?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Jeremey Wise (440)-519-6006
Systems Consultant(CNE,MCSE,CSE)
Agilysys, Inc.
Jeremey.Wise at Agilysys.com

IBM ED PACK -Part # SB033 $4,500 ... SP Discount 11%
IBM ED CARD - Part # SB218 $8,995 ... SP Discount 8.5%