[wplug] hardware swaping..

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Fri Apr 9 08:04:12 EDT 2004

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org wrote:
> Anyone ever try swapping a HDD with a installation of RH9 on
> it into another similar machine?  How much of a headache was it?
>
> One of my machines is dying, but I've put so much into
> setting everything up on that box I don't feel like reinstalling.
>
> Thoughts, Comments?

Insert drive into new system.  Boot.

You may get guff on modules in /etc/modules.conf.  If you've got some
really exotic hardware you might have issues with initrd.  Easy to
resolve in either case.

It's nothing like Windows and their stupid HAL.  Odds are high that if
the machines are very similar you'll only have to do minor tweaking to
video (redhat-config-xfree), network (redhat-config-network) and sound
(redhat-config-you-get-the-idea).

Don