[wplug] autofs + nis on debian

Jay wplug at caldron.com
Thu Apr 8 19:23:35 EDT 2004

On Thu, Apr 08, 2004 at 03:35:43PM -0400, John Harrold wrote:
> i installed debian (testing/unstable) on one of the computers in our lab to
> prepare for the demise of redhat at the end of the month. i've got nis
> setup and working. i can su to users and ypcat works for the different
> files (passwd, auto.master, etc). however when i start autofs, it ignores
> the files available through nis. the nsswitch.conf file has a lines like:
>
> passwd:         compat nis
> group:          compat nis
> shadow:         compat nis
>
> automount:      compat nis
>
> for good measure i renamed the default /etc/auto.master file on the debian
> computer, but that didn't seem to do anything. can someone tell me why
> autofs wouldn't be getting the config files from the nis server?

I have been using Debian for several years and found the Debian HowTo's
very helpful.  I also have the Debian GNU/Linux Bible that has a chapter
devoted to NIS.  I am not familiar with it my self.  I will be glad to
zerox the pages and mail or fax them to you if you send email to my
work computer "kramer.james at dol.gov" and include your fax or mail
address.
Jay Kramer