[wplug] reverse DNS

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Wed Apr 7 17:02:51 EDT 2004

Tim Lesher wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 07, 2004 at 02:53:05PM -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
>
>>This is why I don't like content filters.  They do things like: Most
>>spam comes from hosts with names that start with numbers, this email
>>came from a host with a name that starts with numbers, thus this
>>mail is likely spam.
>
> On the other hand, I run some decent-sized mailing lists (~300
> members) from my home server, and the only sites that are rejecting my
> mail are using the three-step mechanism you outlined, not content
> filters.  My ISP doesn't assign a PTR record for my IP address, won't
> do it, and has a lock-in monopoly on broadband (a deal with the
> apartment complex where I live--they run the phone, cable, and ISP
> there).

I hate lock-in monopolies ... but (of course) the government doesn't care
about these little ones, and lets them go on screwing people.

> The people using content filters on my mail are doing just fine.

Interesting ... like I said, the problem will only be solved for real when
the ISPs actually start doing something about spammers so we can all quit
trying to figure out how to protect ourselves from them.  That'll probably
never happen, though ...

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies