[wplug] reverse DNS

Brandon Kuczenski brandon at 301south.net
Tue Apr 6 22:30:00 EDT 2004

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Drew from Zhrodague wrote:

> > Comcast's Broadband Business Services just told me that they will not
> > make a reverse DNS entry for me.
> >
> > I admit that I not a networking wizard yet, but if I understand things
> > correctly, my ISP, by whom I am assigned my permanent IP addresses, has
> > to have reverse DNS entries for any mail server (and possibly other
> > services?) that I wish to run or my users' mail will be rejected by any
> > sensible admin?
> >
> > Has anyone else run afoul of Comcast in this way?

Comcast is evil.  Steer clear!

[1] Comcast Limits Broadband Usage
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/01/30/tech/main597032.shtml

This one is more of a 'political' issue, but still:

[2] Mega Media Mergers: How Dangerous?
http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/04_08/b3871001_mz001.htm

> 	Go drop a box off somewhere for $100/month. Best way to do it.

I beg to differ... at least, depending on your bandwidth load, sDSL is
pretty good, and (assuming you want broadband at home anyway) much cheaper
than $100/month for colo.  I guess I should add $8/month or so for the
power costs of keeping a server running in my closet, though....

Comcast is the Big Gorilla so it can have its way with things... but it's
not a monopoly yet in Pgh... let's keep it that way.

-Brandon