[wplug] reverse DNS

Carl Benedict cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com
Tue Apr 6 21:19:52 EDT 2004

I have used this website in the past to help track down DNS problems.

http://www.dnsstuff.com/

I had a DNS problem with a client who has Adelphia cable.  He has a
domain hosted elsewhere, and when trying to send mail through his hosted
server, he would be rejected due to this IP forward lookup not matching
the reverse lookup.  After a few phone calls to Adelphia, they either
didn't know that it was a problem, or set it up this way on purpose for
broadband users who didn't have hosting packages.  At the time, they
were no longer accepting new applicants for their hosting servers.

I have used Dream Host in the past www.dreamhost.com and I had no
problems.  YMMV.  I guess it depends what you want to do with your
server.  I host my own email/web server for my business.  It's
definitely more expensive in both time and money to host one yourself.

--
Carl Benedict
Pittsburgh Techs
cbenedic at pittsburghtechs.com