[wplug] reverse DNS

Drew from Zhrodague drew at zhrodague.net
Tue Apr 6 18:52:34 EDT 2004

> Comcast's Broadband Business Services just told me that they will not
> make a reverse DNS entry for me.
>
> I admit that I not a networking wizard yet, but if I understand things
> correctly, my ISP, by whom I am assigned my permanent IP addresses, has
> to have reverse DNS entries for any mail server (and possibly other
> services?) that I wish to run or my users' mail will be rejected by any
> sensible admin?
>
> Has anyone else run afoul of Comcast in this way?

	Me, I have.

	I run a bunch of things from my home cable connection. I hate it,
personally. This means that my stuff is on multiple blacklists
PERMANENTLY.

	DPT systems, part of the north pittsburgh telco colo circuis, has
some good deals on colo, I think. Colo is the way to go if you're hosting
your own stuff. Otherwise, some of those el cheapo website hosts are gonna
be your best bet.

> Is there a solution using a dynamic DNS service?

	No dynamic DNS, lest you control it. Comcast and other DSL
providers generally won't do this for you, unless you pay tons of cash.

	Go drop a box off somewhere for $100/month. Best way to do it.

--

Drew from Zhrodague		http://www.WiFiMaps.com
drew at zhrodague.net		Location Based WiFi