[wplug] backing up

Embery, Nathan Nathan.Embery at crowncastle.com
Thu Apr 1 15:06:18 EST 2004

I quick perusal of Sourceforge.net led me to kdar, which in turn let me to
this
http://dar.linux.free.fr

from the website:
Dar stands for Disk ARchive. From the beginning it was designed to be able
to split an archive over several removable media whatever their number is
and whatever their size is. Thus dar is able to save over small floppy disk,
CD-R, DVD-R, CD-RW, DVD-RW, Zip, Jazz, etc... Dar is not concerned by
un/mounting a removable medium, instead it is independent of hardware. Given
the size, it will split the archive in several files (called SLICES),
eventually pausing before creating the next one, allowing this way, the user
to un/mount a medium, burn the file on CD-R, send it by email (if your mail
system does not allow huge file in emails, dar can help you here also). By
default, (no size specified), dar will make one slice (or file) whatever its
size is. Additionally, the size of the first slice can be specified
separately, if for example you want first to fulfil an partially filled disk
before starting using empty ones for following slices. Last, at restoration
time, dar will just pause and prompt the user asking a slice only if it is
missing.

I'd be interested in hearing how well this works BTW if you try it...
Nate