[wplug] backing up

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Thu Apr 1 14:35:50 EST 2004

wplug-bounces+don.vanco=agilysys.com at wplug.org wrote:
> squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org wrote:
>> Ok, here is what I want to do.  I want to backup a directory tree to
>> cdr that
>  > greatly exceeds the 700MB.  I would like pass this info to
> a backup program  > and have it just prompt me for cds as it
> needs them.  Is there a backup program  > for linux that will
> do this?  I have seen some cool stuff for tape, but I don't
>> have tape.  It would be best if I could access the files on
> the cd without the  > backup program but not nessesary.
> Thanks for the help.
>
> I don't know of anything specifically for doing this, and
> I've been considering starting a project to create something ...
>
> However, if you have workspace, you could tar/zip all the
> data and then use
> split(1) to break the archive up into bits small enough to
> fit on CDs.  This requires some magic to restore from (as
> well as enough workpace to put the entire archive back
> together ...) but it's one possibility.
>
> This is why I wanted to start a project: this is something
> that could be scripted!

Jeremey Wise (list member and cohort in crime here at Agilysious) posted
on this some months ago.  To my knowledge he never found a reliable way
to make this work. That being said, I believe that if you search
archives you'll at least see what code he was able to get together.

Frankly - I'm amazed that no one in the Open Source realm has come up
with this yet - there's lots of false starts documented on
SourceForge.... but no one have ever made it without biting. Ask Mr.
Owl.

Don