[wplug] backing up

Bill Moran wmoran at potentialtech.com
Thu Apr 1 14:32:40 EST 2004

squeegy-wplug at squeegy.org wrote:
> Ok, here is what I want to do.  I want to backup a directory tree to cdr that
 > greatly exceeds the 700MB.  I would like pass this info to a backup program
 > and have it just prompt me for cds as it needs them.  Is there a backup program
 > for linux that will do this?  I have seen some cool stuff for tape, but I don't
 > have tape.  It would be best if I could access the files on the cd without the
 > backup program but not nessesary.  Thanks for the help.

I don't know of anything specifically for doing this, and I've been considering
starting a project to create something ...

However, if you have workspace, you could tar/zip all the data and then use
split(1) to break the archive up into bits small enough to fit on CDs.  This
requires some magic to restore from (as well as enough workpace to put the
entire archive back together ...) but it's one possibility.

This is why I wanted to start a project: this is something that could be
scripted!

--
Bill Moran
Potential Technologies