[wplug] Linux printing woes

mheitzenroder at stargate.net mheitzenroder at stargate.net
Mon Sep 29 22:48:05 EDT 2003

I can't not print any adobe files.  I'm on a MacOSX 10.2.6 box printing to
a linux CUPS server. I saved several adobe files directly as a postscript
files and tried to print it, but I can't even do that directly from the
print server Linux Box (that's taking the OSX out of the equation).

I have an Epson Stylus Photo 2200 connected via usb that can print
anything but adobe files. I also have a tektronix phaser 8200 connected
via usb as well.  it's a post script printer.  when i send it a command
like 'lp -d Phaser Example.ps' it just spit out garbage (that's the linux
or osx box too).

I'm not sure what is going on. If it was ghostscript, then the tektronix
phaser would be able to print the postscript file correctly since it was a
postscript printer(right?) and not the epson. but neither can print PS or
interept data sent to it from a remost host sending it Adobefiles to be
wrapped in PS. When this happens, the MacOS X box reports that
"client-document-format-not-supported."

Is it cups?  Any ideas, at all? :/

The setup is A Gentoo Linux Box with ESP Ghostscript 7.05.6, CUPS 1.1.19,
Gimp-print 4.3.20 (for the epson) and tk8200dp.ppd for the phaser8200.  I
have checked the ppd on the http://www.cups.org/testppd.php webpage and it
says PASS, but it just won't print.  I'm at a loss.  help, please.

The printers work fine w/o the Gentoo Server in the mix and each driver
installed on the macosX boxes.  But the server is  a must.

Thanks,
Matt