[wplug] redhat 9 firewall problem

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Sep 29 14:14:45 EDT 2003

Mike Griffin <mailto:mike at dmrnetworks.com> scribbled on Monday, September
29, 2003 1:32 PM:
> I'm just guessing from documents read in the past:
>
> Try looking for a file named iptables-save or something similiar.
> Something like that could be checked for by a cron job or looked for
> in an initial attempt by the init script. I'm pretty sure RH falls
> under this default behavior.
>
> Might also want to check out the commands  iptables-save and
> iptables-restore to understand the behavior.

	I believe that under RH9 these are handled by modifiers to the
"service" command.  Looking at /etc/initd.d/iptables or simply typing
"service iptables" will yield the available options.  Anything doing rules
any other way is not "as delivered" in RH9 - IIRC there's nothing from RH
that calls iptables-save or iptables-restore.  Not sure what effect there
might be on subsequent behavior if you started to use these "manually" - or
if you started to mess with something like "gnome-lokkit" - I could see
where mixing tools might decidedly lead to some confusion on the system.
	Cron certainly seems like a good place to look based on the apparent
"periodic" changing of the rules....

[root at vmora root]# service iptables
Usage: /etc/init.d/iptables
{start|stop|restart|condrestart|status|panic|save}
	...on my Severn .94 system.

Don