[wplug] usb storage and compact flash readers.

Vanco, Don don.vanco at agilysys.com
Mon Sep 29 09:32:34 EDT 2003

John Harrold <mailto:jmh17 at pitt.edu> scribbled on Monday, September 29, 2003
8:22 AM:
> Sometime in September Vanco, Don assaulted the keyboard and produced:
>>> [root at home root]# modprobe usb-uhci
>>> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o:
>>> init_module: No such device Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
>>> incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
>>> You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
>>> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o: insmod
>>> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o failed
>>> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-uhci.o: insmod
>>> usb-uhci failed
>>
>> 	There are two possible modules to support USB - uhci and ohci - when
>> one fails, load the other (but I'm a bit surprised that kudzu didn't
>> set this in /etc/modules.conf by default)
>
> humm... the ohci one failed also:
>
> [root at home root]# modprobe  usb-ohci
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o: init_module:
> No such device Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module
>       parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.  You may
>       find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o: insmod
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o failed
> /lib/modules/2.4.20-8smp/kernel/drivers/usb/usb-ohci.o: insmod
> usb-ohci failed
>
> is there something i need to change in the bios? i've never used the
> usb stuff on this machine.
	Quite possible.  Depends on the BIOS really - sometimes all you have
control over is whether or not there's keyboard support, sometimes you have
full control over the state of USB.  Depending on the BIOS Linux might even
ignore the BIOS settings altogether.
	If you do change the BIOS and something "takes" you should see kudzu
respond on next boot.  But then, I've had kudzu "should" on me before....

	Did you ever reply with the contents of lsmod?  What aboot lsdev?
[root at cdburner root]# lsdev
Device            DMA   IRQ  I/O Ports
Adaptec                      6000-60ff
aic7xxx                  11
cascade             4     2
dma                          0080-008f
dma1                         0000-001f
dma2                         00c0-00df
eepro100                     5000-501f
eth0                     14
fpu                          00f0-00ff
Intel                        5000-501f 5020-503f fff0-ffff
keyboard                  1  0060-006f
Mouse                    12
PCI                          0cf8-0cff 6000-6fff
pic1                         0020-003f
pic2                         00a0-00bf
rtc                       8  0070-007f
serial                       02f8-02ff 03f8-03ff
timer                     0  0040-005f
usb-uhci                 15  5020-503f
vga+                         03c0-03df

...but lsdev is not in all RH releases or other distros....  This will tell
you that the module has bound to something (I think)

Don