[wplug] books

Joe Topjian joe at portsys.net
Fri Sep 26 15:27:10 EDT 2003

>> For Example, O'Reillys Unix
>> Backup and Recovery. ugh.
>
> I bought this when it came out. What was so bad about it?
> Disclaimer: I've met the author in person.

lol.. meeting is a bit better than being the author.. then I would have
been embarrased  ;)

Though I do a lot of sysadmin stuff at work and on my personal server,
backups arent that big of a deal. Maybe because I take them for
granted. On my personal server, I have a shell script i run that tars
and gzips all the important stuff and transfers it to my personal
computer where I can store it on whatever medium. At work we have a
NetApp which takes snapshots of our systems hourly to monthly.

So when I got the book, I mainly just flipped through the pages going
'uh huh.. yep..'  and any text I actually started to read I got bored
with quite fast. It was a combination of the authors writing style and
that there wasnt anything being covered that I wasnt already familiar
with.

Now I dont question the author on his knowledge of the practice of
backing data up (or NAS and SANs for that matter!), but in the end, I
didnt get much out of that book.. hence in my original post, I asked
suggestions of books I could actually learn from. Now I know you guys
have absolutely no clue on what I can and cant learn from books, which
is why I also put in the bit about 'suggest anything' cause I'll
probably read whatever anyways  :)

---
Joe Topjian
email: joe at portsys.net