[wplug] Govt. authority over crack attempts?

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 26 12:01:08 EDT 2003

On Friday 26 September 2003 09:28, Russ Schneider wrote:
> Does anyone else think there should be some sort of government
> authority when it comes to illegal crack attempts of networks?

no

> I mean, it seems that since I set up my new webserver, I get at least
> one "script kiddie" attempt a day on it (see here for a list
> http://www.sugapablo.net/scripts.php ).
>
> What I envision is a central database where sys admins can post the
> IP, date, and script attempted of any attempt to illegally access a
> network. This data can then be used by law-enforcement to issue
> warnings and then fines for inaction to the originating network
> owners.

Think about it. No, really. I'm the bad guy. I instruct 1000 of my bots
to post YOUR name and IP on that database. Whoohoo, you're blasted off
the net. Another scenario would be compromising that database and doing
all sorts of stuff with it. Nice single point of failure for the entire
"trust" model. And that's without even getting into the discussion of
how much trust you should put on the government to safeguard you and
your rights (it hasn't worked very well historically, has it?)

So: No, this would not help. What *would* help, is netizens knowing what
they're doing and protecting themselves accordignly:

[206.210.67.168]
Login      Name             Tty      Idle  Login Time   Office
Office Phone
sugapablo  Russ Schneider  *:0             Sep 23 12:42 412.403.04
412.521.3891
sugapablo  Russ Schneider   pts/1       8  Sep 23 12:42 (:0)
sugapablo  Russ Schneider  *pts/2          Sep 23 12:55 (:0)
sugapablo  Russ Schneider  *pts/3      44  Sep 23 14:54 (:0)

# rpcinfo -p 206.210.67.168
   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper