[wplug] Govt. authority over crack attempts?

Russ Schneider russ at sugapablo.com
Fri Sep 26 09:28:12 EDT 2003

Does anyone else think there should be some sort of government authority
when it comes to illegal crack attempts of networks?  (If their is one,
what is it?)

I mean, it seems that since I set up my new webserver, I get at least
one "script kiddie" attempt a day on it (see here for a list
http://www.sugapablo.net/scripts.php ).

What I envision is a central database where sys admins can post the IP,
date, and script attempted of any attempt to illegally access a network.
  This data can then be used by law-enforcement to issue warnings and
then fines for inaction to the originating network owners.

Think about it, if you're an AOL or Earthlink user, and you try to crack
another network, it would be no problem for AOL to simply shut you off
(or pass along the cost of a fine to your credit card), etc.

</rant>

--
Russ Schneider (a.k.a. Sugapablo)