[wplug] small vi question

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:14:04 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Kuzman Ganchev assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| On Thu, Sep 25, 2003 at 01:54:49PM -0400, John Harrold wrote:
| > i'm guessing that he's using vim and doesn't realize it. vim is the
| > standard vi editor on a few distros, like redhat.
|
| Hmm... I use vim and I've never seen it do this... vim uses swap files from
| which it recovers stuff (.<filename>.swp).
|
| >From the vi man page on a Debian box:
|
|        /var/tmp/vi.recover
|               The default recovery file directory.
|
| and the files don't have a ~ they're called recover.<mktmp>.

i've seen this in the past with vim, but it's been a while since this was
the default (~ redhat 7.3).

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E