[wplug] Small Linux

Brian Sammon brians+ at cs.cmu.edu
Thu Sep 25 12:10:23 EDT 2003

> This is easily done in Linux but they do not want to be restricted to using
> and maintaining specific (i.e. Linux) PC's for the task, and dual booting is
> out of the question.   They want to drop in a CD and run a batch file.  All
> of their PC's are running Win9x or XP.
>
> So I need either a program that will enable Windows to create/write/read
> ext3 filesystem (not likely).  Or, a version of Linux that will run off of a

There are Windows programs that handle ext2 filesystems.

http://penguin.cz/~mhi/fs/Filesystems-HOWTO/Filesystems-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.6
http://www.it.fht-esslingen.de/~zimmerma/software/ltools/ltools.html
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/explore2fs.htm

You might also consider looking into programs like dd/rawrite/ghost for
Windows, that would dump a raw image from an image file onto the device.