[wplug] Small Linux

John Harrold jmh17 at pitt.edu
Thu Sep 25 09:34:06 EDT 2003

Sometime in September Weber, Larry A assaulted the keyboard and produced:

| I have developed a small product using Linux as the OS.  The OS and
| application reside on a 64Meg compact flash.  Now that the design is done, I
| need to have our manufacturing plant program blank compact flash devices.
| This is easily done in Linux but they do not want to be restricted to using
| and maintaining specific (i.e. Linux) PC's for the task, and dual booting is
| out of the question.   They want to drop in a CD and run a batch file.  All
| of their PC's are running Win9x or XP.
|
| So I need either a program that will enable Windows to create/write/read
| ext3 filesystem (not likely).  Or, a version of Linux that will run off of a
| floppy, CD or combination floppy+CD.  All it needs to do is fdisk,
| mkfs.ext3, mount (sda1), and copy (tar) the OS (I have the embedded OS
| tarred) and copy the application (second tar ball).  I looked into Tom's
| Rootboot but it doesn't have the capabilities.  Any suggestion?

bootable cd? you might want to look into knoppix
(http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-old-en.html),
i use this a lot as a rescue disk.

or perhaps the bootable business card
(http://www.lnx-bbc.org/).

i hear there is also a gnoppix
(http://www.gnoppix.org/)
like knoppix but it uses gnome.

                                               | /"\
 john harrold                                  | \ / ASCII ribbon campaign
      jmh at member.fsf.org                    |  X  against HTML mail
           the most useful idiot               | / \
 What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless,
 whether the mad destruction is brought under the name of totalitarianism or
 the holy name of liberty and democracy?
 --Gandhi
gpg --keyserver keys.indymedia.org --recv-key F65A739E