[wplug] Linux drive designation

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Tue Sep 23 21:20:58 EDT 2003

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 21:04, RJNedreski at wmconnect.com wrote:
> Although I've been using computers since 1962 (time-shared mainframe)
> I'm a newbie to Linux.  I have a PC w/ 200MHz Pentium,190MB RAM, 15GB
> hard drive, IDE Zip drive and IDE CDROM.  Installed Zipslack on Zip
> drive but can't access it. Zip drive is secondary master.  What is
> its designation in  Linux?   hdc1, or what?  Will appeciate info.

Yes, secondary master IDE is /dev/hdc. Use the command
$ dmesg | less
to see to what device your Zip drive is attached.

http://www.slackware.com/faq/do_faq.php?faq=zipslack#8
says that your Zip drive could be treated as a SCSI device (in which
case it would be /dev/sda)

-A

PS: If you're generally looking into bootable GNU/Linux systems, KNOPPIX
is a must! :-)
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265