[wplug] Mounting SDA1

Jonathan S Billings billings at negate.org
Mon Sep 22 12:59:31 EDT 2003

On Mon, 2003-09-22 at 11:26, Weber, Larry A wrote:
> Perhaps I was not clear.  I need to mount unformatted compact flash devices.
> After mounting I will format the media.  Some of my "unformatted" devices
> have been formated with msdos.  I don't need to read the msdos data, only
> reformat the compact flash device to ext3.

I believe you are misunderstanding what 'mount' means in this context.
A system mounts a filesystem on a device, so it would be impossible to
mount an nonexistent filesystem on a device.  Also, the filesystem on
the device is not something that can be changed with mount.  You want to
use mkfs.ext2 or mkfs.msdos (depending on what filesytem you want) to
create a filesystem on the device before trying to mount the filesytem.

In this context, you "format" the device with mkfs, you can't format it
while a filesystem on the device is mounted.

--
Jonathan S Billings <billings at negate.org>
TSFNKP, President and Chief Lackey