[wplug] Locking down user rights...

Alexandros Papadopoulos apapadop at cmu.edu
Fri Sep 19 08:25:29 EDT 2003

On Friday 19 September 2003 01:13,  wrote:
> We're running Redhat 8.x in our office environment with Gnome and the
> Ximian Desktop..
>
> All of our workstations have one login for all users to use.  I've
> been put up to the task of finding a way to prevent users from doing
> too much customizing of their desktop's, etc..

This link explains what you want, but for KDE only.

http://webcvs.kde.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/kdelibs/kdecore/
README.kiosk?rev=1.18.2.5&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Some ideas are applicable to any environment, though. (immutable flag
through the filesystem, say)

This post talks about GNOME, and instead of locking, re-setting to
defaults each time the user logs on:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-list/2000-September/msg00557.html

-A
--
http://andrew.cmu.edu/~apapadop/pub_key.asc
3DAD 8435 DB52 F17B 640F  D78C 8260 0CC1 0B75 8265