[wplug] If I were a Linux consultant...

Lance Tost ltost at pobox.com
Thu Sep 18 16:57:59 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Alex Birch wrote:
> OpenOffice.org will never be compatible with M$ Office because M$ XP isn't
> 100% compatible with
>
> But I believe crossover office works well on Linux.

I've tried Crossover Office.  I'm not crazy about it.  It's a little snow
and not all that stable.. plus for the average Windows user, it's going to
confuse the crap out of them to have a virtual windows file structure
somewhere in their linux file structure.  Plus, you still need to buy MS
Office so you won't save any money there.

> Sun is fickle. They used to ship their hardware with linux but switched
> back to Solaris.

This isn't really true.  Their first Linux attempt, I believe, was the
LX50 which is a Linux only Sun server.  I don't think they had much
success with it.  Now they're offering the V60 and V65 with your choice of
Linux or Solaris x86.  Choice is good.  Sun never "shipped their hardware
with Linux" except for the LX50 and now the V60 and V65.  I wouldn't
expect Sun to drop Solaris compeltely for Linux... that would make lots of
customers pretty angry.  In fact, Sun tried to drop Solaris x86 recently
and even *that* made lots of customers unhappy -- so much so, that Sun
brought it back.

BTW, anyone wanna buy an old Sun 386i?  How bout a 3/60?  Own a piece of
Sun history before they drive themselves into the ground! :)

--
Lance Tost <ltost at pobox.com>